Friday, October 24, 2008

Sibling Revelry

When I first found out we were expecting boys, the one thing that made me a little sad was that Grace wasn't getting a sister. From sharing secrets to stealing each other's sweaters, my sister and I have always been thick as thieves (to go along with the sweater-snatching reference.) I was worried that a brother/sister relationship wouldn't foster the same closeness that Lindsay and I share. Thankfully, Grace and Jake have already proven me wrong!

I can't help but melt when Grace greets Jake with a heartfelt, "Hey bud-dee." She is quick to kiss his head and face, and is always dragging blankets from throughout the house so she can gently cover him. (When I ask about the blankets, she tells me he's cold.) She also tries to imitate our caring for him, assisting with feeding, burping and diaper delivery and disposal. She blesses him in her nighttime prayers, and always wants to be sure he's included in what we're doing.

And in his own little way, Jake seems similarly smitten--watching Grace's every move (when he's not staring into space or up at his toys.)

Earlier this week, while Jake was "working out" in his gym, Grace crawled right down with him. As she yapped and he cooed, my heart reveled in the sweetness of it all. I'm certainly not naive enough to think that the pinching and fighting won't happen in the future, but for now, I'm feeling the love.

No comments: