Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Checkout Reality Check

With the New Year fast approaching, I've been doing lots of organizing, simplifying and slate-wiping of sorts. New year. New hope. New beginning. In doing so I can't help but reflect on the events that brought us to this point...so much can change in a mere 365 days. To put things in perspective, I wasn't even pregnant yet this time last year.

Anyway, as part of my year-end "cleanup", I hoped to have something profound and inspiring to post--drawing from what we learned from our 2008 experience. It's been in the back of my head as I buzzed about this week, but nothing earth-shattering came to mind. (Although I did come up with 2 practical tips--Oxy-Clean laundry spray is a miracle stain-remover, and Peppermint Twist body wash from Bath & Bodyworks makes for quite an invigorating morning shower. Not exactly the revelation I was hoping for, but useful information nonetheless.)

Moving on...my errands today ended with a trip to the grocery store that left me with more than just a cartful of food, including a giant tube of cookie dough that I'm sure Weight Watchers would NOT endorse. As I waited in the "wrong" line--slow cashier who did several painfully drawn-out price checks, I couldn't help but notice the teenager behind me. For starters, she reeked of cigarettes and wore a skull-and-crossbone hoodie. As a mom, I have come to think of girls like this as people I don't want Gracie to become.

When it was finally my turn, I quickly unloaded my cart and started bagging while the cashier took her time ring up the remaining items. As I started to fill the bags in less-than-systematic fashion--raw chicken next to fresh produce, diet soda and sponges--I was stopped by a friendly voice. "Here, let me help."

I looked up to see smokey crossbone girl, who'd watched me struggle and come to my aid. I was stunned and just a little ashamed at myself for jumping to conclusions. To add to my guilt, the slow-as-molasses cashier handed me my receipt with the sweetest smile and wished me a "Blessed New Year." Now I felt downright evil.

On the ride home, I thought about what had just happened and realized I'd stumbled upon something worthwhile to write about. Yes, there is wisdom in suffering, and our pain has given us insight, purpose and clearer priorities. But I don't have it all figured out. You just never know what's down the road, around the bend, or under a hoodie. And in a world clouded by terrorism, a failing economy and all sorts of scary things, there's still infinite power in a kind gesture or warm smile.

So here's to a happy, HEALTHY New Year and the lessons that it brings. Yes, even in line at the grocery store.

No comments: