I never thought I'd long for the "good old days" lying in my tiny antepartum room, less than a week ago. Sure it wasn't the Ritz Carlton--or more importantly, home--but I had my little routine and was encouraged by the hope of healthy boys, and a future that made present sacrifices seem insignificant.
Obviously things have changed after we were suddenly, and unwillingly, put on a new path. Total bedrest aside, including bedpans and dirty hair, this new normal comes with the ache of a broken heart and the stinging blow of defeat. Not to mention Eric's shattered dream of carrying his boys in both arms, or me envisioning my three ones trailing behind me, like ducklings in a row, or two strong sons flanking either side when I'm a feeble old lady. Daily ultrasounds drive the ugly reality home when we see Drew, now quiet and still.
But, thankfully, there is something even more powerful, when we allow ourselves to see and feel beyond the pain. And that is HOPE.
In that vein, the ultrasounds also reveal busy, determined Jake wiggling away, heart thump thump thumping along. And then there's our first little miracle, amazing Grace. During yesterday's reunion, after her second week with my sister, she lit up our sad room with her unique brand of sweetness and spunk--the best medicine in the world!
And so, life goes on.
Maybe not the life we'd envisioned just days ago, but the life we were meant to live, which WILL be happy again. It won't be an easy road, but it's the one we're on now. Sure, it's tempting to want to curl up in an effort to protect ourselves from the possibility of future blows, but that's no way to live. So, once again we'll walk hopefully into the future, one baby step at a time.
Monday, June 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Dear Laurie,
I know that words can hardly comfort you for the loss of your dear little boy Drew, but I am praying with all my might for you. That God may give you and Eric strength and surround you with comfort and love. I pray for the wisdom in the care for you and Jake by the doctors and nurses.
In reading your blog I see what a remarkable woman you are, Laurie, with the amazing courage and determination you have. I pray so much that God blesses you with a strong and healthy Jake.
You are one amazing family. We love you all so much and celebrate and grieve all at the same time with you - although we can never imagine what you and Eric are feeling. God will find a way to comfort you.
Whether you feel it now or not, you are so strong. I am in awe of that in you right now.
Kiss Gracie for us in Texas! Emily, Alan and Jack
Laurie,I can see that God is continuing to work in your life by providing you the comfort and HOPE of tomorrow. Though you are grieving, I think it is AMAZING that you are celebrating the positive too! Keep that faith and God will provide all you need!
I am thinking of you every single day. I know your friend Staci DuBosq and have been praying for you and your family. We never know how strong we are spiritually, until God's plan places us in a dark and forbidding situation that we never previously thought we could handle. I'd say your faith is very strong and that God has fortified you well. God bless and I'll check back soon.
Post a Comment