While I wasn't exactly looking forward to Friday's service for Drew, it was a perfect, beautiful "goodbye for now". Thanks to my dad for carrying out the arrangements, my cousin Josh for his piano playing, and Rev. Chris Ehlers for scripture reading and prayer. A very special thanks to cousin (and pastor) Paul Melson for giving a most comforting and eloquent meditation. (Not an easy task, for such an occasion.) Below I've included the verse preceding Paul's comments, as well as his message. I hope you find it as moving as we did.
"Psalm 139
O Lord, you have searched me and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O Lord.
You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.
If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
and the light become night around me,”
even the darkness will not be dark to you;
the night will shine like the day,
for darkness is as light to you.
{Hear these words about us
but also about Drew}
For you (God) created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because
I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you...
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
Meditation:
In this passage, we hear...
God knows where we are.
God knows our thoughts.
God knows our heart, fears, sadness, loss.
Where ever we go through this journey of life;
Where ever we go in this specific journey of grief;
God’s will see us and provide for us.
But also in this passage- It reminds us...
God creates us.
And God created Drew.
God knitted him together in his mother’s womb;
And he is known and is loved by God.
But that’s not all;
Drew’s life and presence impacted many people.
For Laurie and Eric, family and friends,
His presence along with Jake’s
brought excitement and anticipation...twins.
brought anxiousness and worry ...twins.
For the doctors, nurses, medical technicians,
There is no doubt a heightened sense
of joy, wonder, interest...
when the ultrasound detects--
2 heartbeats, 2 little lives.
For all who knew about Andrew,
We are reminded of the Hope that new life brings.
We are reminded of the fragility of life.
We are reminded of the priceless gift of life.
Drew’s life also impacted Jake’s life.
For as we knew about Andrew (Drew), Jake knew Drew!
Drew is the first friend that Jake encountered.
They played together, wrestled together,
and probably plotted like brothers would
to make their mom’s belly as big as possible.
And as the machines, on that horrible day,
told hospital staff that something was wrong,
so did Jake’s response as he searched tirelessly
for Drew that first day.
We too have searched in our hearts and minds
the whys and what ifs;
We have searched for answers to questions
that only might be found in God’s presence.
We have searched for new patterns of life again.
For the overwhelming joy and anxiousness of twins
has been tempered a bit;
and now we, in joy, celebrate the birth of one son.
But if we take a cue from Jake,
After a day or two of searching
Jake became settled again...
accepted his environment...
In these days, and even coming days,
so too we are challenged and called to
accept our environment after a time of searching.
To enjoy this new life - Jake Jentes;
to love him with all of our heart
And to know that Drew
is also experiencing life and love...
Though that life is beyond
our time and our space.
And that love is from people here- you and I
who he will not meet for years to come.
And the love that he is now experiencing
in the midst of God’s eternal Kingdom
My only concern for Drew,
is that the first Melson he might have met
is Uncle Ken ... that’s a handful for a little boy
Drew will be remembered!
Many of us will think of him often.
Many of us will look at Jake and think also about Drew.
And in God’s eyes....
Drew is seen today, and for all the days to come,
as not only one of Laurie and Eric’s 4 children,
but also a Child of God, dearly loved!
Drew is enjoying and experiencing
the fullness of all that heaven has to offer.
For his death, for our loss.... We mourn.
For his life, for his impact in our lives
for his presence with God... We give thanks to God!
We feel we missed out on many years of Drew’s life.
For that is what we anticipated and expected.
And that is tough for us.
But for Drew,
He missed out on the toughest part of life;
life beyond the womb.
And is experiencing what we all anticipate
in faith— life beyond the death.
And in Faith, one day, we will be reunited
and enjoy the fullness of God’s presence
and one of his little saints.... Andrew Jentes."
Sunday, August 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW MUCH THAT MEANT TO ME TO READ LAURIE. DOUG AND I KNOW THE PAIN THAT YOU ARE FEELING AND EVEN THOUGH THE PAIN OF LOSING A SWEET BABY BOY IS STILL VERY REAL TO US WE ALL CAN HAVE FAITH IN KNOWING THAT OUR SONS ARE RESTING PEACEFULLY IN THE ARMS OF GOD!! IT HAS BEEN 4 1/2 YEARS SINCE WE LOST OUR SWEET BABY EVAN BUT I HAVE JOY IN KNOWING HE HAS A NEW FRIEND IN HEAVEN!!!
LOVE TO ALL OF YOU,
STACEY JENTES
Thank you for sharing such an emotional moment with us. Like you, Paul has a way with words. Imagining Drew meeting Uncle Ken made me laugh out loud through my tears. For those of us not able to be there, I'm glad you were able to share this with us.
Love you all. Mimi
My heart aches for your family. The words posted here were so well written. May you find comfort in the days ahead. I hope you are healing from childbirth well and that baby Jake continues to progress enough to come home very soon.
Best wishes,
Stacie
Post a Comment