Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Still Growing...

Jake continues to progress--slowly but surely. He's now out of the warmer and in a "big boy bed" since he can maintain his temp without help. He's still having occasional apnea episodes--usually self-correcting before the nurses need to intervene. (We've been told many times that it's typical preemie behavior, but it's still hard for a mom to watch.)

In the next few days, we'll start offering the breast and bottle...whether or not he's ready is up to him. But his current diet of fortified breastmilk (via NG tube) is suiting him well, as he's fast approaching 5 pounds!

As for when he'll be heading home, it depends on how quickly he masters sucking and swallowing, and when he outgrows the apnea. Yesterday's nurse (they all have a slightly different take on things) said to count on closer to my due date (6 weeks from now--uggh!), and anything sooner will be gravy. Obviously we want him to be truly ready before he heads home, but it's so hard to be patient! (Seems to be a recurring theme this summer.)

For now, it's lots of trips to the hospital to see our little man. He usually rewards us with heart-melting, wide-eyed alertness (which I will try to capture soon; I just don't want to blind him with my flash in the dark NICU.) Stay tuned as we watch and wait...

3 comments:

Cindi Freeburn said...

Dear Laurie,

Jake is SO cute. I can really see the progress he's making. I'm sure it's incredibly hard to be patient, but once he's home, you'll have him there for 18 years or so...so rest and get ready (as one who'll be an "empty nester" in just one short year I can tell you that time will FLY !!)

Be well and know that we continue to pray for you, Jake and your little family !

Love,

Cindi

Carolyn said...

He is so beautiful. I know he doesn't want to go home until he is truly ready but please remind him that his favorite Great Auntie Carolyn will be there on Sept 13th so he needs to try to be home by then!!! If not, Auntie Carolyn will just spend mega time in the hospital with him. He looks like Gracie did with the dark hair. Is he going to be a Melson look a-like or a Jentes? Give him kisses from me.
Love, GAC

Mimi said...

He's the cutest boy ever!! I think he looks like you, Laur, when you were little, especially his mouth. He is looking bigger all the time. I love the pics on Picassa of Grandad holding him. How sweet. He really looks little in Bob's big hands. Give him and Gracie kisses from us and hopefully I'll be there between Christmas and New Year's to meet him.
Love to all, GAM