Sunday, July 6, 2008

Good News and Uncertainty

I've been trying to keep this blog a little more philosophical than nitty gritty, but for those of you who want details, here are a few. First the good news...

As of today, we've reached our first milestone--28 weeks--hallelujah! This is by no means a sure-fire safety spot, but the odds just swung dramatically in Jake's favor. A good place to be, but now we've greedily set our sights on 30 weeks.

In other good news...after 3 weeks in the same bed, I felt like my achy bones were lying on a slab of granite. And in certain spots, I lost feeling altogether. Enter my brand new fancy-pants air mattress. It was a bit tricky to get since it's normally reserved for bedridden seniors, but some determined nurses made it happen. Now I'm happily suspended in cushiony comfort.

As for Jake, he continues to make perfect to near-perfect marks on his daily biophysical profiles (ultrasounds.) Lots of movement, plenty of fluid, and he practices his breathing for at least 30 seconds at a time. That's our boy!

OK, now the nerve-racking stuff. I've had contractions since I've been here, which are acceptable in small amounts. The past few days I've had occasional periods of more intense action, but thankfully, they've passed. It's very scary in the midst of them; however, since we never know when it's the real deal.

Also, yesterday I started leaking what appears to be old blood. It is likely from Drew's sac and could continue without incident. However, it could also signal the start of something bigger. The docs are being extra cautious, obtaining frequent vitals, temps, and drawing more blood than usual for additional tests. (Amy Winehouse has nothing on my multitude of needle sticks.)

Emotionally, I continue to fluctuate from strong, feisty lioness to weepy, fearful girl. During one of my contraction spells a few days ago, I was very upset, feeling totally helpless and thinking our time may have run out. The compassionate nurse on duty asked if I was a pray-er. When I told her I was, she said to remember that, "When we give things to God, we can't take them back." In other words, if I truly leave things to Him, there's no use continuing to struggle with the scary stuff on my own. Easier said than done, but good advice that I'm trying to put into practice.

So, that's all for now. Please keep praying for more time for Jake on the INSIDE, no infection in either of us, wisdom for my docs, peace of mind when things get rocky, and, ultimately a strong, healthy baby boy that we can nurture and love for the rest of our lives along with his big sis.

7 comments:

emaroo said...

First of all...I just about lost it with the Amy Winehouse comment!

This is such good news on getting to 28 weeks! Your family has been on the forefront of my mind and prayers everyday and so many of my friends ask how you are doing all the time. It sounds like Jake is just going to fight his way to the finish line!

So often I have to remind myself or be reminded of that same thing about giving things to God and them LETTING Him handle it. Us worring only gets in the way! He wants our pains, struggles and challenges...He begs for them and then we try and keep the burden on our shoulders so often.

We love ya and can't wait to give kisses to your sweet baby boy!

Mimi said...

Great news about Jake & making it to 28 weeks!! Geneva enjoyed visiting you and has had much fun with Gracie. This is helping to improve her babysitting skills.
Glad you're resting on air. Just cause you're not a senior, doesn't mean you don't need it as much as them. Great job to the nurses!!
Keep us posted. My friends across the country are also asking about you and praying for all of you. Way to go Jake!! Keep up the great work.

Love, GAM

Anonymous said...

Laur - so the nest just got a bit higher off the ground did it? That's great, glad you are finally comfortable again (in relative terms). Congrats on 28 weeks! Just know that we are all praying here in OH (and everywhere our prayer chains reach). I pray several times a day that God would keep His hands wrapped around little Jake and protect him from any harm, and that God would allow him to be a strong healthy boy (sometimes I throw 'chubby' in too)! I pray for you and Eric that you stay healthy and get good rest so you feel rejuvinated daily, hourly, etc. I hope you feel our love from here!!!
Cri

Carolyn said...

Great on making it to 28!! 30 is not far off. So many in Florida are sending you their prayers each and everyday. I think of you constantly and know that Jake is a fighter. If there is anything you want or need please let me know. I am always here for you.

Love, GAC

Unknown said...

Hi. We've never met. My husband (Bob Dennis) let me read your blog. I felt compelled to write to you. I had a very long and sometimes twisted journey to motherhood. Also, My granddaughter was born at 25 weeks. She weighed in at 1 lb 9 oz. She is now a wonderful, happy, curious and very loving 5 yr old. It was a very long haul so I know a bit about how you feel. I just wanted you to know that the Dennis family is offering their prayers and support to you and your family. Bob speaks very highly of you and after reading your blog I can see why. All the best, Rhea

Cindi Freeburn said...

Hi Laurie,
I was SO glad to see your post this morning..the worry wart that I am, I get concerned if I don't "hear" from you every few days! Great news on the 28 week milestone for Jake and your new "mile high" comfy bed. I'm sure glad you have such wonderful nurses that seem to address both your physical and spiritual needs as well !! Great advise about letting go, and letting God...
Try not to worry about the things you don't control...it takes up your precious energy and saps your soul as well.

Know that there are many praying for you that you and Eric have never met. Our pastor reads your blog and keeps our prayer chain updated on the progress Jake is making.

Try your best to stay positive and lean on the Lord when you feel yourself spiraling down.

Love, hugs and prayers to you, Eric, Jake, Grace, and Your Mom & Dad

Cindi (Doner) Freeburn and family

Anonymous said...

Happy 25th day!! Hang in there : )